Monday, March 27, 2006

Doctor What?

No, Dr. Who!!!

I don't know if any of you catch the new incarnation of Dr. Who on Sci-Fi, but it's terrific! Of course, none of the original series ever entered into my sphere as a youth except for a few stray episodes here and there on PBS so I have nothing with which to compare it. All I know is that I do like this show. It's fun, smart and every once in a while the show's makers sneak in a few ideas about humanity, morality and how we might fit into the cosmos.

Also I think Christopher Eccleston is fantastic as the Doctor. He plays it the way I think someone should play the Time Lord: wide-eyed and enjoying every moment of it. Though, once again, I really have nothing to compare it to.

In short, it's great. Watch it!!!

5 comments:

Reed said...

love to.

no cable.

Jaques Cartier said...

I love Dr. Who...especially the Daleks....

I think that Tom Baker was the finest Dr. though. I suppose that this is kind of like the eternal questions in life. Mayo or Mustard? Brown Bread or White? Beatles or Elvis? Connery or Moore?

Herr Vogler said...

Mayo unless the it's hot mustard, brown (also known elsewhere as wheat) bread, Beatles (sorry Jedd) and definitely, most definitely Connery.

Herr Vogler said...

More proverbial questions:

mozart or Beethoven? Mezzos or countertenors? Pencil and Paper or computer? Musicians or drummers? The book or the movie? These are all questions that are easily answerable, but have no true answer (except the mozart/Beethoven one; that's self-explanatory...if anyone says mozart, they'll die...eventually...I guarantee it!).

david d. mcintire said...

Mayo, brown, Beatles, Moore. But Tom Baker's is the performance against which all other Doctors must be measured. Which is NOT to say that there are not other excellent Doctors, but Baker inhabited the role to an extent that everyone else has to answer to his seven years in the series. And 'The Talons of Weng-Chiang' (with Baker) is pretty much universally regarded as the finest episode in the entire show's history. Though my own favorite is 'The Pirate Planet,' with a phenomenal script by Douglas Adams.