Wednesday, May 31, 2006

New York, New York, What a Wonderful Town...

Well kids, die Frau and I are off to New York for a few days of chaperoning some high school kids on their "cultural enrichment trip". We're going to catch Spamalot (there was much rejoicing) and Mamma Mia (which I'm kind of ambivalent about at this point; I'm sure it'll be okay).

I will try to blog from NYC, but if not I'll catch you all up after returning.

Oh yeah, for bonus points, name the songwriters, show, year written and who starred in the film version that the title of this post comes from.

2 comments:

david d. mcintire said...

Wonderful Town: Music by Leonard Bernstein, Lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green. Can't remember who wrote the book. The movie (ca. '57 or '58) starred Rosalind Russell, who, if memory serves, was also in the original cast. Or were you referring to another musical?

It's a wonderful show. Not as genre-smashingly brilliant as West Side Story, but a lot of fun. I saw it in Indiana a few years ago. Ought to be done more often than it is, I think.

Herr Vogler said...

Absolutely! The song also made an appearance in the 1949 film On The Town with Gene Kelly, Jules Munshin and a pre-Rat Pack Frank Sinatra directed by Kelly and long-time collaborator Stanley Donen.

I wanted to see Sweeney Todd or The Lion King but nobody asked what I wanted!

Will post soon!