Friday, February 05, 2010

Okay, so I'm not crazy

Well, maybe a little bit, but not about this.

During the presentation of the Cecile B. DeMille award to Martin Scorsese at the Golden Globes they played a montage of clips from all of his films. It ended, naturally, enough, with scenes from his upcoming Shutter Island. Under the scenes from Shutter Island I heard something familiar. A bass line and rising chromatic figure that I knew all too well. I actually backed it up just to make sure I'd heard it correctly. Yep, there it was. Plain as day. The passacaglia from the Penderecki Third Symphony. I immediately became intrigued and found that there was no composer credit for the film. Apparently Scorsese uses all found music for this particular film. People who know his films know that this isn't anything new and that he oftentimes treats the original scores composed for his films in a similar manner.

Anyway, the list of works/composers is actually pretty damned impressive. Penderecki, Giacinto Scelsi, John Adams, Ingram Marshall, Ligeti, Morton Feldman, Lou Harrison and others.

Check out the track listing for the soundtrack to Shutter Island.

No comments: