Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Little Pleasures

My drive home lends itself rather well to the ebb and flow of a well-planned film music playlist.

I take I-35 most of the way home but I take a circuitous route to get there that requires me at one point to be on I-29 south to take I-35 north (in order to avoid construction on this). The merge ramp from I-29 south to I-35 north is a single-lane brdige that actually crosses over itself to go north. Traffic often slows to a crawl - if not a complete standstill - on this bridge/merge depending on the time of day (usually by the time I'm on it).

As I merged onto the ramp yesterday, traffic slowed just as "The Asteroid Field" from The Empire Strikes Back came on. The music paced the external action perfectly. As traffic began to speed up, so also did the tempo. Once I merged fully onto I-35 and was back up to speed, the cue locked into its tempo and carried me through the next four miles of weaving in and out of the "interstate asteroids" beautifully.

Some people would say this was luck, but in my experience there's no such thing as luck.

2 comments:

Mikey the Pikey said...

I had a similar experience once with an Eagles song. I'd tell you about it, but you'd just laugh at me and call me a little girl.

the warrior bard said...

This piece of music has been getting some air time in my car as of late, too. My usual weeknight involves driving from about 11:30 to midnight on I-35, taking some one-lane ramps onto Hwy 290 and 183. I have been enjoying the shit out of Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant.