Monday, November 07, 2005

Film Composers In The Opera House

I don't know if there are any opera fans here but these might be of interest.

Don Davis, whose scores for The Matrix films are brilliant and unparalleled, is composing an opera. It was just given its concert premiere by the Los Angeles Master Chorale in oratorio form last night. I haven't been able to find any reviews of the performance yet but you can read about the opera here.

Elliot Goldenthal has composed an opera based on the Beowulf legend called Grendel. It will be receiving its premiere next spring by the Los Angeles Opera. Check it out here.

And finally, our beloved Howard Shore has decided to turn his attention to opera as well. He will be working on an adaptation of his score for David Cronenberg's The Fly. I haven't been able to find any other information except that the Los Angeles Opera is slated to premiere the work in their 2007-08 season. I'm sure more information will be available eventually at Howard Shore's website.

For a guy like me who is always looking for concert works ("classical music" - gaaaawd I hate that term) by film composers this is very exciting.

No comments: