Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Life As A Music Inventor

So I've been working on this piece for months for a friend for violin solo and chamber orchestra. Months. I've more-or-less aborted the piece about a half-dozen times. It's been painstaking because it seems like my compositional materials were thwarting my intentions at every turn.

NEWSFLASH! Contrary to mass belief, a piece of music rarely springs to life instantaneously (well not concert music anyway) - jazz excluded.

So after about 4 months of gestation the piece is finally - and quickly - starting to take shape in my mind. It's so exciting! It turns out that much of the material I previously wrote will actually make it into the piece afterall. I was just trying to find the right "glue" to hold the whole thing together. For the first time since I finished my last film score my brain is a whir of musical activity! I love that initial moment of creative realisation. It's awesome (in the archaic, take-your-breath-away, sense of the word)!

I just wish I weren't at work right now so that I could actually work on it. I find it so difficult to concentrate at work even when I'm not doing anything work-related (such as posting on my blog).

1 comment:

Herr Vogler said...

Many of my creative moments also happen to occur in the BR. Interesting, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that you're just sitting there not thinking about anything in general...

As far as films scored go, to this point I have a romantic comedy, a spaghetti western (my most heartbreaking scoring experience to date) and a couple of horror films to my credit.

Most of the films I've scored are-or will be-available at www.screamkings.com (except the romantic comedy). They're fun but ultimately still very small in scale (and, like student films, a great proving ground for someone like myself).