Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Thick Black Storm

I love a good thunderstorm.

I especially like driving in them. I am neither careless nor overly cautious (each is dangerous).

I left the gym last night to one of those spring thunderstorms that is both cold and humid; a glorious torrent of a downpour with thick, dark billowing clouds that seemed to stretch to the edge of the world, brilliant flashes of lightning and the cracks and rumbles of thunder both near and far.

But what to listen to on the way home?

After a few moments I cued up my iPod to Hans Zimmer's The Thin Red Line and rolled out of the parking garage. Everything fell into place from there. The music seemed to embody with precision and perfection the atmosphere of it all. Naturally that's just me trying to make sense of my universe by creating meaning where there might be none. We're all human; that's what we do.

I cruised home making it through the first half of the album (the better half of a very good album); thirty minutes of aural/climatic symbiosis. It actually made for a terrifically relaxing drive bringing me to a near Zenlike state with my automobile.

At least from my vantage point.

4 comments:

Reed said...

i miss a good T-Storm.

Herr Vogler said...

They're one of the few things I'll miss if/when we leave the Midwest.

the warrior bard said...

Ah. Now you are beginning to understand. Atmosphere, aural symbiosis, and an almost transcendental state. Driving music. Zen.

Well, you saved me a blog post. Except I was going to talk about breaking out Pirates of the Caribbean while riding along the edge of a storm in the afternoon. It is both stormy and sunny at once. Is the storm coming or going? What's going to happen? Hold on to your hat!

Sight, sound, smell, touch...

I, too, would miss the thunderstorms. But now I don't have to post about it.

the warrior bard said...

It's funny that we both wax lyrical about the weather of the Midwest while relating it to film scores about island weather. Maybe we both just need to move to the Bahamas. I could live with that.