Friday, February 10, 2006

Happy Birthday, Jerry


Jerry Goldsmith (1929-2004) is still my favorite film composer. It's still kind of sinking in that I'm never going to see another new movie poster with his name on it. I love John Williams' music. Bernard Herrmann was a genius. But few others have been quite adept at being so chameleon-like in their ability to genre jump.

With that in mind, we'll be enjoying a good mix of standards andthe more obscure works of Mr. Goldsmith's output. Afterall, Jerry Goldsmith is to me what John Williams is to the Pikey. I have lots.

The Omen
Rio Conchos
QB VII
Take a Hard Ride
In Like Flint/Our Man Flint
Alien
Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Rudy
Basic Instinct
First Knight
The 13th Warrior

and.....

Christus Apollo (cantata for orchestra and chorus based on writings of Ray Bradbury, 1969)
Music for Orchestra (commissioned and premiered by Leonard Slatkin and the St Louis Symphony, 1970)
Fireworks (written as part of Jerry's first concert series with the LA Philharmonic, 1999)

2 comments:

the warrior bard said...

Jerry Goldsmith is immortal, and his music will go down in history. Mark my words.

Herr Vogler said...

Jerry Goldsmith once said, "If our music survives, and I have no doubt that it will, it will be because it is good". Well, it is good. And he is immortal. Every time I listen to one of his CDs.