Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I Hate Writing About Me

Okay, that's not entirely true. When it comes to this blog, I tend to write a lot about me. Then again, it's my blog and I'll cry if I want to. Oh wait...there was a point here.

Anywayyyy...

I'm submitting a couple of scores for a new music festival in the fall and, along with those scores, recordings, program notes, etc., I have to include my bio. I hate doing this. How does one write about one's achievements without sounding smarmy? Beyond that, I have so little real experience at this thing that my bio kind of looks pathetic. Granted it's an opportunity to talk about myself and what I've supposedly done, but it's still annoying. I think McIntire wrote about this previously. A lot of people - especially composers - will pad their resume with the slightest contact of a "name". It's kind of like a native American coup (sp?) stick. Sometimes you'd whack somebody over the head with it in battle for glory and honor. Sometimes you'd just touch someone who was already on the ground dead and claim it for yourself. I met Krzysztof Penderecki after a Chicago Symphony concert in 2000, do I get to put that on my resume? I think there are some unscrupulous composers who probably would. But the fact of the matter is that, at this point in my life, there's only one person with whom I've actually studied who has had a direct influence on my writing. I also don't expect that to change anytime soon.

10 comments:

david d. mcintire said...

McIntire did write about this previously. Some composers are shameless in the way they exploit their occasional proximity to fame in their resumés. Others hardly mention the luminaries in their life. I don't think that there's any disadvantage to erring on the side of modesty, whereas developing a reputation as a leech-like hanger-on could hurt you later on. Ultimately it's the sounds you make that will matter.

the warrior bard said...

Don't become a name-dropper. I didn't even like listing master classes I've had on my application to come to grad school. So I had some dude look at a piece I wrote. One lesson? Does one lesson really matter? Mmmmmaybe. But listing people you haven't actually studied under is just name-dropping.

A dark place this thought will take us. Very dangerous, this is. Phony you are not. The dark side clouds all. Lies, deceit... that is the way of the bio now.

Reed said...

just say you know us (your blogger friends)...on second thought.

just say you saw John Williams conduct!

Mikey the Pikey said...

BTW - I hate writing about you too!!!


Seriously though, just put what you think is appropriate. Keep it tasteful.

the warrior bard said...

If it makes any difference, I like writing about you.

Herr Vogler said...

You may hate writing about me, but you're here doing it anyway, aren't you?

I see my plot for world domination is working afterall.

Herr Vogler said...

It does make me feel a little warm and not a little fuzzy.

Mikey the Pikey said...

Someone has to keep writing about you. My plan is to continue to inflate your ego until the eventual point where your head will just explode like that guy in Scanners or something. Then the world shall be mine (*maniacal evil overlord laughter*)!!!

Oh, and I'm fuzzy, and proud of it - what's wrong with fuzzy?!

the warrior bard said...

Okay, so we've covered name-dropping, world domination, masturbation, and body hair. Well done.

Herr Vogler said...

Impressive. MOST impressive.