Wednesday, June 21, 2006

It's a Bird! It's a Plane!

So. I opened up iTunes a few minutes ago to see what was new this week.

Lo and behold! Right there on the homepage. They've released the Superman Returns score a week early on iTunes!

How excited am I? If you said, "very", you would be correct.

Anyway, I'm going to resist the urge to purchase and wait until the mass release with the packaging and artwork comes out next week. I can't help but enjoy some of the reviews. Here are some of my favourites (that's for you, Tim).

Note: In fighting my own inner impulses, none of these has been corrected for spelling or punctuation.

ottman doesnt do the theme as good as williams

I can hear it, too! There aren't supposed to be any clarinets doubling the other woodwinds from measures 43-48. They're supposed to be doubling violins!!!

super-man rules but this...i don't think so . face this is really bad

is this reviewer letting us in on his own personal demons?

All that this has in it is background music. It's kind of cool, but who would really buy it?!?!

That would be me and about 50,000 other fans of the film, the music and even, perhaps, John Ottman.

Awsome! The only reason it's a 4 star is because it has no words

Words??? We don't need no stinking words!!!

I not a person who likes sound, I like music with sound and singing, but that was one of the most impresive soundtracks I have ever heard

Does this guy love it or hate it? And since he doesn't like "sound" how is he qualified to make a statement like it's "one of the most impresive I have ever heard"?

WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS? WHOEVER IT WAS NEEDS A GOOD SLAP IN TH HEAD!

I'm sensing some anger here. Because the reviewer didn't state his case clearly I'm not entirely sure of what he's angry. Is this you, Tim?

no real music junkie would listen to his stuff

I guess I need to throw away my film score collection.

the is no better super hero that superman. the score is equally good.

Isn't babelfish great?

This album has a good variety of music but maybe even more variety by using a different artist

Hans? Is that you? I think this is someone from Media Ventures who is pissed off that there are composers in Hollywoodland who don't need 7 extra composers and 11 orchestrators just to write some music for a film.

come on supposedly one of the biggest movies of the year and they can't even make a decent soundtrack. before buying this and jumping to any conclusions that this soundtrack will actually be any good, listen to the samples

This message brought to you by the Future Studio Executives of America (FSEA). Only someone who is, or wants to be, a studio executive would say something so divinely stupid.

With a nod to John Williams in the first track and similar themes throughout the score, John Ottman has proven to be a truly emotional writer. A bit more string friendly than his predecessor (Williams), Ottman still has the ability to wrap us in the majesty of one of our most beloved icons. Mr. and Mrs. Kent would be proud.

You know, I was just thinking earlier today what a terrible orchestrator John Williams has always been. It's the one thing that's been holding him back in his career.

I'm not a fan of classical music, ut this is probably the first music soundtrack to come out in a long while, that only has songs FROM THE MOVIE. For what it is, I think its pretty good, and deserves a good rating.

This is classical music? And it has been awhile. It's totally the first movie soundtrack since, like, X-Men: The Last Stand and The Da Vinci Code that has only songs from the movie. It seems like a lifetime ago.

John Ottman undoubtedly stood in the shadow of John Williams' masterpiece and remained faithful to the original. That fealty, however, extends beyond the first track and envelopes the entire score. More importantly Ottman infuses pieces with heavenly choirs and punctuates them with exciting interludes. Well done!

This can only be the ramblings of someone whose sole ambition in life is to be a critic so that he/she can legitimately use words like fealty, envelopes (not the mailing kind) and punctuates in their writing.

i like it alot it is cool. but it could be better.

Why is it that everyone thinks it take no talent whatsoever to write music? Seriously. I think what this reviewer thinks is that they could have written better.

And finally, I kid you not...

Even Chuck Norris can't beat this.

There's absolutely nothing to say to that.

Okay. Seriously. I'm done. I have music to write.

No comments: