Monday, September 05, 2005

Professor Robocop

My wife and I just finished watching the special on the History Channel about Roman engineering. It was really fascinating (yes, we're nerds for all things Greek and Roman). Anyway, like we've come to expect, they have their certain panel of experts that they continually go to throughout in order to give their information "scholarly accuracy". Who should happen to grace the screen as one of their "experts"? None other than Robocop himself, Mr. Peter Weller. I was shocked. At first I thought to myself, "Self (because that's what I call myself) this has to be nothing other than a happy coincidence. That cannot possibly be...Holy Crap!!! It is him!!!" That's right the star of such acclaimed films as Robocop 2 and The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai is a Roman scholar!!! Apparently he's affiliated with Syracuse University somehow, but I couldn't find any references to him as an instructor.

I suppose there's hope afterall for those of us that want to live in both entertainment and academia.

2 comments:

Reed said...

no hope. they hired him as an actor because the professor they had from Syracuse whos name is, in fact, Peter Weller couldn't remember his lines.
no that's not true, but the show was really good. Very interesting.

Jaques Cartier said...

I saw this too...it was verrrry interesting.

BTW, I was shocked to find out that the Romans didn't actually invent Crucifixion. My SBC childhood Sunday School teacher fed me some mis-information. There's a shock.